Coles 67 Westy THE BBOE!!!!!!!

john jones

Re: Coles 67 Westy THE BBOE!!!!!!!

Postby john jones » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:39 am

not so lucky.....broke coming into wellington... so... I drove over to wellington to fix the bus and a seal I couldn't get to needs replaced... sorry guys.... I'm gonna go fetch it up later.. and get it fixed... damnit!!!!! I didn't get home till this morning..... I slept on the side of I70 last night.. :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$
I feel like a campfire in the rain.. :-&

Dario

Postby Dario » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:50 pm

Shanti has parts at his house, he'll be home around 7. 435-650-9346
Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes.

john jones

Postby john jones » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:28 pm

touched base with Shanti.... He didn't get home till after midnight last night... didn't notice the bus this morning... He was pleasantly surprised.. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

I'm gonna bolt over there tonight and get the bus... Probably just stay the night.. and party in wellington??? :-# :-# :-# :-# :-# :-# :-#

Dario

Postby Dario » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:08 pm

He's super excited to have you over tonight. \:D/ \:D/
Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes.

ibbrown1

Postby ibbrown1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:08 pm

john jones wrote:touched base with Shanti.... He didn't get home till after midnight last night... didn't notice the bus this morning... He was pleasantly surprised.. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

I'm gonna bolt over there tonight and get the bus... Probably just stay the night.. and party in wellington??? :-# :-# :-# :-# :-# :-# :-#

stay the night in the BBOE like the good ole days JJ??
1960 15 window
1959 Kombi
1961 Mango
1959 Panel

john jones

Postby john jones » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:53 am

L31 towing and Rescue is back...BBOE is back in the compound... Wink Wink Wink

Dirtylawnchair

Postby Dirtylawnchair » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:19 am

What happened to it?
Pigpen wrote:No babies have died in my bus, so it must be working.

Paulie

john jones

Postby john jones » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:54 am

broke a cup off an adjuster... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) But while it was broke, it was beating the hell out of the rocker, and also kicked the pushrod tube back and cut the seal in half.. which I wanted to tear apart and fix right... While we are here.. I am ditching the ratio rockers and going to solid shaft stockers... They always put those on my engine's.. (1.25's) :-k :-k :-k :-k but it will just make all the valve train less stressed, and easier to fix on the side of the road.... and probably, not have any rocker problems anymore... I am also thinking of ditching the steel rods in favor of aluminum one's.. :-k :-k :-k :-k Smith Bros though.. not stockers.. even though... I imagine stockers would be fine... :-k :-k :-k :-k if they are the right length... :-k :-k :-k :-k

Speshel k

Postby Speshel k » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:47 pm

Curious, Why aluminum vs steel? More give? Better with heat? I've run 1:25's CB performance in the past. Do you use the same? Also, does the push rod length change when you go to solid shaft?

john jones

Postby john jones » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:34 pm

solid shaft doesn't affect pushrod length.. but ratio's do, mostly cause they change the adjusting location.. when you change the style adjuster it usually affects it also.. push rod length.. but can usually be solved with a few shims under the rockers.

I think the aluminum pushrods were part of the original design for a real reason with the air cooled engine and heat shit... so I wanna stick with it.. I think some play in the valves is ok also... running zero lash means zero tollerance.. Wink Wink Wink I also like the idea of ditching the lash caps, which also have a play in the length... I want fewer, simpler more forgiving parts in my valve train.. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

BBWB

Postby BBWB » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:59 pm

You guys probably know this, but the reason behind '0' lash steel push rods was they don't expand as much as aluminum. So when all the aluminum and the mag case expand, the steel doesn't, and you have perfect rocker to valve clearance when the engine is warm. With aluminum push rods, you set the clearance cold, and it all stays the same as the engine reaches temp, thus maintaining the proper rocker to valve clearance. I always liked the steel. Stronger and don't bend as easy as aluminum. Never tried the high dollar aluminum type. I never got into the ratio rockers and elephant feet until that last engine I had that toasted on the way back from Telluride. We went back to stock rockers on the rebuild, and I think it may still have the elephant feet adjusters.
Let me draw you a fucking picture!

Franz

Postby Franz » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:37 am

Single valve spring heads, 1.1 : 1 stock rockers on solid shafts, with ball foot swivel adjusters. Probably the most reliable valve train set-up. Less stress with single springs and stock rockers. If you look close you can see the oil porting in the rocker arm that allows oil into the special ball swivel adjuster and onto the valve stem.

I like aluminum push rods these days. They run quieter. You can set .006" lash on aluminum and it stays about the same when the engine get warm. Steel push rods get loose like Ben was saying...probably more than .006". I also feel like the aluminum provides a small bit of cushion that may help with head torque and cam wear.

Obviously this isn't a race engine that is revving to 7k ....where dual springs and steel pushrods would be necessary. Its a driver/adventure bus that is driven nicely most of the time. The lighter valve train should extend engine life and reduce fatigue.

Franz

Postby Franz » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:47 am

Getting ready to jam the engine back in the BBOE this morning. It'll be ready to go again. I'm embarrassed that it broke down on the way home. #-o

Speshel k

Postby Speshel k » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:37 pm

I doubt you'd have noticed it. I just think it's amazing that KCW would go get the bus, and fix it without question. I'd always spend my $$ at a shop like that. I'd even pay more knowing that's the level of service I'd receive.

kevinb

Postby kevinb » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:36 pm

Speshel k wrote:I doubt you'd have noticed it. I just think it's amazing that KCW would go get the bus, and fix it without question. I'd always spend my $$ at a shop like that. I'd even pay more knowing that's the level of service I'd receive.

There is no other shop like KCW! =D> =D>

Return to “KCW completed projects”