Mallee Notch

NUG637

Re: Mallee Notch

Postby NUG637 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:54 pm

Hopefully the last of the hangables to need work

The last of the thin bits

found this inside some shit that was stuffed in the glovebox to... an Old RACV (car insurance) membership keyring... i wonder if HXZ-401 was the old plates off the notch??

NUG637

Postby NUG637 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:09 pm

well the decision was made to see how much OG paint was left under the decklid, drivers rear guard and the front of the hood as it was heavily patina'd from a bad past repair and didn't match the rest of the car which is pretty presentable. So scrapered back to as much OG paint as we could find until making the decision it was very little original paint left on these panels and now in for a full respray and not just a blend except for the hood...

it was very pitted so had to sand back until the paint was flat but didnt bother to fill or beat out any dents or deep scratches as I'm hoping to mimic its history but through a more presentable coat of paint abit like how i did a past car and it turned out great....

then today prepped the rest of the panels for some high build to feather out my repairs... as the original paint was put on with grey primer, a white sealer and then the blue top coat i wanted to mimic that too so if we polished through in places it will look more like factory... make sense?

was a bubble of rust that had occurred in the top of the passenger door because of a lip in the lead wiped repair that was catching water for many moons, not trouble tho as we will be blending the bad green job and will do it all in one

and let the white high build flow \:D/

the decklid is really wobbly with many highs and lows... i said to shana it will look funny if every other panel on the car had dents and scratches but the decklid and drivers guard be perfectly straight if we were to body work them so the idea is to leave it wobbly and when it comes time to polish it will rub through to the white on the highs to show those dents have been there for years, I'm just hoping it looks like the pictures in my head...

same idea for the drivers guard... i sanded out all the pitted paint but left the cracks, dents and crows feet which will get a coat of topcoat over them with a light sand

top coat blend monday or tuesday which is a real shame cus looks like we will head back to the snail week after next so once its blended it will be bolted back together and pushed back into storage until we return... just when it is starting to get exciting :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

5lam

Postby 5lam » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:17 pm

Coming along nicely!
I wondered if you were going to paint it, or just match the patina. They always look better being able to tell the story of their past.

Pat K

Postby Pat K » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:40 am

Love notches.....i like the direction your going with this ride....Did the canadians send you Aussies their camera?.. :-# :-# Wink Wink ...lots of pics
with updates form down under... =D> =D> =D> =D>

NUG637

Postby NUG637 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:11 am

Thanks Pat, Threads get boring without lots of pictures :-$

Yeah we want to keep as much original paint as possible, only blending what was once rust or previously bad blend jobs...I wanted to have this thing in paint last weekend but after spraying it out we determined it wasn't a great color match, abit of back and forth with the paint shop and although it looked good on the dip stick, once mixed with thinners and sprayed it was coming out a different color...

Top Mixed and sprayed, bottom dipped in the tin

So after 5 trips to the paint shop and a completely new batch mixed then back again to get the new batch tweaked we finally have a match!! so today after getting a few things out of the way it was time to lay some paint

Blended

really happy with the blended panels, the guard and the deckled that got full resprays look too perfect to the rest of the car but with a wet sand, a polish and a few scratches etc it should come up a treat. That will all have to wait until we get back tho cus if i polish it now it will only dull off again by the time we get it close to road worthy

you may also notice while i was waiting for the paint to get mixed a better color i fixed the positive camber issue with the rear tyres... sits nice without and engine :-$ :-$ it will all have to come apart again anyway cus when we return from our trip we will start the body off pan-resto before properly bolting it all back together with new seals etc

will try get some sun pictures tomorrow as it always look better under some sun light :-k =D> \:D/

omr_007

Postby omr_007 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:15 pm

Blends came out awesome for a rough hack like you :-$ :-$ =D> =D>

john jones

Postby john jones » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:40 am

bueno!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
:-" :-" :-" :-" :-" :-"

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:46 am

Nice Work!!!!! =D> =D> =D>

Cuba

Postby Cuba » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:52 am

Very nice work! =D>

NUG637

Postby NUG637 » Mon May 02, 2016 1:45 am

With moving into our first house a few weeks ago we finally gained access to the engine that had been stored at the very back of the container since we picked her up all those years ago. So last week I got a night in the shed and decided to get this thing on the "run in" bench and go through it abit.

Pulled down the old carb's to find them completely fucked... Not only full of crud but a few of the jet threads all chewed out and things broken or missing so put them straight in the bin and soda blasted a spare set i acquired years before we even had a type 3.

Got myself a few hours in the shed again today so checked the tappets, roughly set the carb's up and poured some fuel down the throats of the carb's and she fired right up.

Abit of fiddling with one of the carb's to mend a fuel delivery problem and she was running on all 4 in no time. Carb's aren't tuned/synced and the timing hasn't been checked since setting the points and valves... Oil pressure seems good and will run a compression test on this thing during the week. If that checks out ok, we might get away with just a seal kit and a splash of paint on the tins to call it done until further work needs to be done.

Here's a short video of it purring along...

http://youtu.be/WsM3kZl3i_8

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon May 02, 2016 7:00 am

The linkage on type 3 carbs suck.

Phat Bug

Postby Phat Bug » Sun May 08, 2016 6:46 pm

Get it done already!
I need a rig to cruise in next time I'm up there :)

NUG637

Postby NUG637 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:42 am

Taken me a while to get to this point but happy to be spinning spanners none the less...

just need to find a battery tray to burn in otherwise this pan is solid compared to what we are used to on the coast. :-({|=

Return to “Show Pics / Readers Rides”