My 63 Rag from NZ

glenn_moss

Re: My 63 Rag from NZ

Postby glenn_moss » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:54 pm

Nice attention to detail! I think it deserves some sharper looking seats but the buckets are cool. I arrived in Auckland today Smile Smile Smile so my 63 project is on hold for a while.

63Ragtop

Postby 63Ragtop » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:50 pm

Welcome, sorry about the weather, it's just turned to shit!

not to worried about seats, that is something I can sort out once its running, not missing out on driving it coz of tatty seats!
Subaru ones are a little tidier anyways, these do need a recover.

63Ragtop

Postby 63Ragtop » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:54 pm

way2cool

Postby way2cool » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:16 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> looks titties !!!!
KIM -----------------
" whale oil beef hooked "
http://www.chalkboards.com.au

63Ragtop

Postby 63Ragtop » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:00 pm

all these small things take some much time.

details details details. cleaned up door swtiches.

stuck foam stuff under the tank.

front end looking nearly complete!

this is the problem with my old 67 fuel sender, if It's any where near full it will leak and ruin any new paint. Crying or Very sad
any suggestions on how to fix this small but important issue, would be great, or should I give up and convert to the electric gauge as my gauge wire thing is bung as anyway.

and now for some real fun.

being the incredible tightass I am, I'd only orders enough trim clips that I needed, thinking I'll just reuse the old ones. Well the old ones look like shit, very rusty shit. I also needed to clean the rust off the window scraper clips for the door glass and the metric nut only had a handfull of these in stock.

So, electrolysis is my new favorite word! I was talking to the acid stripper guys about these small parts but he said the acids can take the carbon out of the spring steel and ruin them, then I remembered reading about electrolysis on OS,
did some research and came up with this.

dissolve some of this in water.

fashion a crude metal tray to hold the small clips, optain metal bar for positive side.

hook up 12volt battery charger and watch the fun begin.

this was after 2 hours, didn't do a whole lot to the clips but sure cleaned up the metal tray!

so I left it going all day in a quite corner at work, before/\/\

and after/\/\. seemed to flash rust while drying, so I gave em a quick wire wheel and painted them

so fresh and so clean.

nice to have all the trim on.

don't think I've posted a pic of the Mighty wildcat in place yet.

started cleaning up the window mechs, they have been hanging on the wall for the last couple years and are very dirty and crappy looking,
was hoping to give them a lick of gray paint, but dunno how that will work with all that grease everywhere?

love the way everything is date stamped, this one must be from my old 67, same date as the speedo I kept.
made by Golde like the sunroofs?

found the next candidate for a swim in the electrolysis bath I think.

Also fitted door rubbers, door switches and interior light and ran the wire up the A pillar to hook it all together.
Installed the glovebox after giving the back of it a quick matthew black to tidy it up, all of which I forgot to photograph, damn.

63Ragtop

Postby 63Ragtop » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:10 pm

Go a bit more done over the weekend.

zapped those door window winder things for 24 hours in the elecro-bath, came up pretty good!

this process is just amazing! check it out!

got the winder mechs painted and in.

went and found all the seats and stuff, this is were it's been hiding for the last near ten years!

got the VHT vinyl paint onto the door cards, one can used, will need more for the back seat, it says it works on fabric also, so I might do the fronts to match.

I was kind of expecting the seats to be moldy or full of rat shit or cat piss, but they're as clean as when I bagged them up, which saved a job. Darrell helped me out AGAIN cleaned up the ol carpets and bung em in.

big ugly rubber mats coz daily driver \:D/ \:D/

can still see my ass print! haha.

[img][https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4317/35949626156_ce62eb9ce4_c.jpg/img]

Not bad seats, if you squint they almost look like recaros. :-" :-"

get in that hole you!
door cards ready, spent a bit of time last night getting the window glass to work nicely, so soon.

door scrapers, polished sunroof rails and door glass sills.

sunroof mech, really in need of a full body off resto as well.

all still working well though.

cover has seen better days.

top of the front bow.

back and front together, getting them both drip stripped, hopefully there will be something left?? I imagine these are the most expensive parts on this pile!

And!

Front bumper and runningboards as well as seats and carpets! god damn it's almost a car!

kids had to take it for a spin when they got home.

Smile

63Ragtop

Postby 63Ragtop » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:12 pm

Nearly up to date guys!
I feel the wiring is going to beat me on this thing, I've got 98% all hooked up and I'm sure correct, but the last few details are tripping me up. things like the wiper motor and switch which is because they are 2speed and from a later car they appear to need a couple extra wires, also the Alternator for the same reasons.
Adding to the confusion is the loom seems to be missing a few small, separate small wires, like the one for the speedo light and one for the flasher unit, both of which I was able to salvage from the old looms.
I'll be happy if anything works and it don't catch on fire!
Also had a frustrating night last night trying to get the door window scrapers in, or rather to stay in! very tight work and my fingertips are sore today, was hoping to have the drivers door finished last night, but by 1am I had to give up!

help!

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:55 am

Nice work. It won't be long before you're driving it. =D>
Tim

john jones wrote:Sanding sucks balls, My balls have been about sucked off..:-#

S-10 BB Swap
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/1st-gen-bigblock-installation-223375/

Franz

Postby Franz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:39 am