Type 3 narrowed beam

Type 3 narrowed beam

Postby jaggedlines » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:27 pm

How, if you guys dont mind, Do you narrow a type 3 beam. the mounts are on the very outisdes of the beam, so what do you do. i cant afford a new KCW beam, but wanna slam a squareback me and my friend are working on...so i was going to build one. Can you guyssend me pictures..or a link to someone with pictures of how to do it all. thanks.
jaggedlines

Postby Franz » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:01 pm

We make a conversion beam that allows you to bolt a link pin type 1 beam into your type 3. Here is a link to the samba ad which has some pictures. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=285237
Franz

Postby jaggedlines » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:59 pm

I just wanna know how the fuck you narrow it. I mean, the mounts are on the end of the beam...not the center like a bug. therefore, youd be cutting into where it mounts to the car..causing it to no longer fit....im just cofused. i dont do type 3's....but my friend wants to drive his square again..which needs work..and wants to lower it. can you do anything untilizing a stock beam.....like welded in adjusters or what not. how is a lowered Square going to do with stock beam...how bad will it rub. i dont have hella cash to drop...but im sensing type 3's are as cheap as bugs.
jaggedlines

Postby Franz » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:02 am

There is a little room to narrow the beam, up to 6 inches. But you cannot narrow a type 3 beam.....or I should say it would be very difficult. If you want to roll the stock beam, simply re-spline the trailing arms. It s very similar to the rear of a bug.
Franz

Postby jaggedlines » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:24 pm

maybe itll be better understood to me if i get into the beam and take it apart. i just did my own type 1 beam...not narrowed..but adjusters..it turned out good. if i take it and respline the arms...how low can i go and still be able to turn???
jaggedlines

Postby Franz » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:32 pm

If you use the right tires I would think you could go all of the way down.
Franz

Postby jaggedlines » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:34 pm

I assume by resplining were talking about retoating the arms upward...sounds easy...we'll throw some 135's on it or something to make it clear the fenders..and dropin the back should be just like a bug. thanks man.
jaggedlines

Return to Tech Questions