Bug-tech shifters....something good and different

luftkraft

Bug-tech shifters....something good and different

Postby luftkraft » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:09 pm

I've been using one of the new Bug-tech shifters in my bus for about a month now and I can't say enough good things about it. A small company out of Germany focused primarily on just shifters. They make a type 1, type 2 and 5 speed 901 style shift levers. These things are super simple, based on a two axis design with a dual spring pre-tensioned reverse lockout gate. Classic German engineering... simple but effective.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again....this thing makes a Berg feel sloppy! By far more direct and tighter pattern than anything out there. I've had a few of the bus guy's in the family try it out....they have all been shocked at how good it feels. I've got another one on the way for the BDSC. I'm going to custom bend the handle on it to fit the "far back" shifter mounting location of the barn door.

The US distributor is a company called DTM, I don't know much about them, as I contacted Markus in Germany directly before I knew of a US source. Check them out at www.bug-tech.de.

-nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway

SprayBomb

Postby SprayBomb » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:49 pm

Sweet

Kinda pricey tho
Never low enough...

luftkraft

Postby luftkraft » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:03 pm

Yeah, I thought that also, but after I bit the bullet and bought one....I feel that it's worth the additional $130 over a Berg.
-nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway

Pigpen
What vasectomy?

Postby Pigpen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:43 pm

Stock shifters work well, and they're usually free... Smile

luftkraft

Postby luftkraft » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:52 pm

That's funny Kevin... I was waiting for you or John to ask what's wrong with a stock shifter Smile

I say what's wrong with a non-lowered bus.... well, nothing really :-k

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:03 am

i love the look of the shifter. i think it is a perfect shifter for something like your bus luftkraft and johns 356
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

scottsain
Bryan Adams

Postby scottsain » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:05 am

and john's squareback.
VW Drag Night 2017!
July 7-8
Orangeburg Dragstrip, Neeses SC
www.vwdragnight.com
BE HERE! FREE FOOD! FREE DRINKS! FAST CARS! LOOSE WOMEN!
www.facebook.com/VWDragNight

luftkraft

Postby luftkraft » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:06 am

I look at a shifter as one of those parts that is important to the overall look of my cars. Kinda like a wheels, steering wheel or exhaust. I guess I like the look so much because of my interest in early racecars...It's very reminiscent of those early tower ratio shifters in early Porsches.

vwtrey

Postby vwtrey » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:16 am

I take it the reverse is locked out by the spring loaded plate on the side?

Pigpen
What vasectomy?

Postby Pigpen » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:56 pm

luftkraft wrote:

Everything!!! Thats why both of yours are lowered...

luftkraft

Postby luftkraft » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:26 pm

Pigpen wrote:
luftkraft wrote:

Everything!!! Thats why both of yours are lowered...

exactly #-o

luftkraft

Postby luftkraft » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:26 pm

The gate with the two springs on either end is the reverse lock. You just push with a little more effort to depress the springs and engage reverse. real simple with nothing to break.

petevw

Re: Bug-tech shifters....something good and different

Postby petevw » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:54 pm

luftkraft wrote:The US distributor is a company called DTM, I don't know much about them, as I contacted Markus in Germany directly before I knew of a US source. Check them out at www.bug-tech.de.

That's Dave in Georgia. Stand up guy, no BS.

http://www.dtmengineering.com/

Pete
'02 996 C4S
'08 D16RR
'05 999R
'05 V70 T5
'01 TDI
'72 Super
'65 21w
'52 Split

luftkraft

Postby luftkraft » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:37 pm

Here's a picture of my type 1 anodized black shifter. Markus (Bug-Tech) got onto the forum today....I'm going to see if I can get him to sign up. He seems to be a super cool guy.

volksfahrer.nl

Postby volksfahrer.nl » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:55 am

My buddy Martijn is on of the few (or maybe even the only) distributor that sells the shifters in Holland.
Today he had a litlle bugtech photoshoot at his shop!
(is anyone even reading this? Smile )

Return to “Bullshit”