1950 Ford Carson Top

Postby slammed and shiny » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:18 pm

thats pretty sweet. =D>
Franz wrote:.that late model shit is for late models.
Broken glass and a broken jaw.
Lies are told in a southern drawl.
Poor-house poverty's your schtick.
The real thing would kill you quick.
slammed and shiny

Postby tylorDURBEN » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:31 pm

today i was able to wrap up the floor work upto the notch. the notch sheet-metal is ready to go as soon as i put a few bends in it.

in the mean time took the original Rochester off the '61 283 and tore it down to be rebuilt. also got a 3 duece set-up that i might use, but not sure on that yet.

while doing my daily research (basically looking at the pics of the shoebox Paul Bragg worked on) noticed a b-pillar lower brace, so i improvised and made my own. knowing that when the roof comes off there would be tons of work to do, figured the roof should come off tonight.

tomorrow and sunday plan to chop the front windshield, think 4" will suffice, and going to cut out the rear package tray so that i can move it forward. this will elongate the trunk and give the profile the appearance of a real convertible.
tylorDURBEN

Postby GTV » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:10 pm

Nice! I was wondering when the haircut was coming! =D>
stock sucks
GTV
ninja

Postby C.Hamburg » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:22 pm

Chop chop chop. Nice.
-Corey
C.Hamburg
purple drank

Postby tylorDURBEN » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Saturday progress...

tapped out 4" to be removed from A-pillar:

with the a-pillars complete, decided to shave the wipers and washer hole, along with a bolt that was in the center of the top firewall. blended the welds a bit too:

cut out the rear package tray. moved it forward 6" then another inch for a total of 7. after analyzing countless profile pics of Carson / Gaylord top shoeboxes i think this will put the new roof where it needs to be:

tylorDURBEN

Postby GTV » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:28 am

Killer. Hardtop, slanted pillars, or straight?
stock sucks
GTV
ninja

Postby tylorDURBEN » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:49 pm

Carson / Gaylord top =P~
tylorDURBEN

Postby GTV » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:07 pm

Duhhh... I've only read the title a few dozen times #-o
stock sucks
GTV
ninja

Postby tylorDURBEN » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:32 pm

its all good.

Sunday progress...

not too much to show for today, took the Buick out for a nice cruise with my pal. then once he headed off i stuck to the shop and pushed forward on the package tray work.

started off by making a paper template:

followed by splitting it into 2 and making them out of 18 gauge, worked one side at a time:

then worked the driver side:

in the end the 7" gap is filled. everything lined up nicely and its all tacked in place:

tylorDURBEN

Postby tylorDURBEN » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:15 pm

after the acid bath, the carb got cleaned, detailed and rebuilt:

hoped in my shop truck this morning and drove North for a good 2 hours, what for? Vert doors!

got back to the shop and placed them on the car, they will need some adjusting to look at home but they are worth the effort.

tylorDURBEN

Postby tylorDURBEN » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:52 am

sorry for the lack of progress last week. had to get my truck all dolled up and it took some time, but now its back to business as usual.

there is a lot of stuff during a build that isnt really mentioned, thought id mention one of these "things". while the sedan doors fit nicely the vert doors dont. the bottoms of the doors had a downward dip that prevented them from closing. so i remove the door seal retaining strip and hammer / dolly the bottoms up. now they fit.

while the doors where on the bench decided to shave the door handles and key holes.

now you see the door closes, and now you also see how its got a different profile. yay, more work that will go un-noticed when its done. hahaha

put her on the lift to see the floor bottoms, look good, just 1 required a little trim and some hammering, all seams will be seam sealed and primered and undercoated.

i dont have a sheet metal bender and had been waiting for weeks to use one. well i got tired of waiting. the trunk and notch floor had been cut and bead rolled weeks ago, so i took matters into my own hands. used the truck bed to form the notch sheet metal. i must say it came out great!

so the floor are complete front to back. this week i will finalize some small areas that need massaging.

plans are to pull the body off this weekend for the last time. seal the bottom of the body and clean / paint the frame so i can bolt the two once and for all. i will need them as 1 to really work the doors being that now its a vert with more flex its gotta be bolted down for final adjustments.

till then.
tylorDURBEN

Postby tylorDURBEN » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:43 pm

doing work.

scored a 51 Kaiser grille bar. going to see about getting 2 more in better shape:

sealed almost all the floor joints, top and bottom. pulled the body off (for the last time):

scratch pad the bare metal and sprayed some etching primer (top and bottom):

seat mount provisions:

my pal Leo gave me a 71 Chevy convertible seat (fit almost perfect):

modified the rear lower mount (took about 1" out):

seat down to the metal and sprayed white:

shaved the front bumper:

modified the trans cross-member for the 700r4:

fabricated a K-member to add strength to the now convertible chassis:

more work.
tylorDURBEN

Postby Radar » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:03 pm

Looking great man,
Radar

Postby tylorDURBEN » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:47 am

thanks. everyday is a day closer.

so i had a couple of pals offer their night to help me with the shoebox. granted they are not car builders, but every bit of help gets the car closer and closer. we put in work till about 2 am.

Eric came through and wire wheeled the frame rails and rear of the frame. it looks very fresh and clean. all that is left now is the bottom of the frame and some of the front suspension areas. Thanks Eric!

his roommate Rainer (*spelling?) from Latvia wanted to be a part of the process too. so he got to work on the floors. scrapping off some old undercoating that was on the firewall inside and scratch padding the etching primer to prep for the white paint he applied. Thanks Rainer!

more coming soon.
tylorDURBEN

Postby DOGO » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:10 am

Your work is amazing! You have an insane vision.
What did you detail that carb with? The Eastwood stuff, or...?
DOGO

PreviousNext

Return to Show Pics / Readers Rides