<  2012 build-offs  ~  50 chevy truck build
blitzd
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:20 am  Reply with quote

Been a member of the forums since there was a fee to be on here, love the site. KCW is a big motivator to me to get out in the garage, pretty amazing what these guys can do in a short amount of time. I figured its my turn to put one of my builds on here. Little background on me, im 29 been building cars since before I could drive them. I did the mini truck thing for a few years then got into VWs then hot rods.

Few pictures before I start my build.
Bagged 69 beetle with all early sheet metal.

My 60 single cab, kinda lost motivation on it 2 years ago so its just sitting now. Its got a T3 swing axle, drop spindles, CB 2 inch beam. Was very rusty needed a new bed floor, cab floor, dog legs, but amazingly the treasure chest, rockers, and all the common things were really solid. I loved this truck cause as far gone as it was I wont feel bad about cutting it up if I decide to get crazy with it. Plans were originally just a basic slammed driver with stock wheels and commercial caps. Im sure that will change.

A little buffing of the original dove blue. I lost most of my pictures of it.

And to the current build 50 chevy Advanced Design truck. Its on a S10 Frame that is bagged. 4 linked rear with bag on bars. Its painted Satin red with Vintage white single stage fire wall and interior. Engine is a 350 V8 with upgraded heads and cam. Nothing crazy its just gonna be a cruiser.

blitzd
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:29 am  Reply with quote

Air ride setup built by my buddy Sammy. He does some crazy suspension setups for minitrucks and I think he was disappointed when I told him what I wanted since it was so basic but he did it and made it look killer 4x4 S10 blazer rear end, disc brakes and posi was thrown in the works.

Picture from when I first brought it home. Plans were to put a bed on it and drive it while I worked on the single cab. It needed a head gasket so I pulled the heads and went ahead and threw in a cam. While I was there might as well paint the engine up all nice...well now the firewall looks like hell so I filled all 71 holes in the stock firewall and gave it a coat of paint. Well now the rest of it looked like shit....you can prolly see where this is going.

Last edited by blitzd on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
blitzd
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:34 am  Reply with quote

The old stock frame had a camaro clip grafted on, original idea was to keep that frame which was fine for just a driver. Well after the truck got some paint on it I realized I wanted some nice wheels on it. The camaro clip was to wide to time to scrap the old frame and start fresh.

Sitting next to the now neglected single cab in my 2 car garage.

Dash and fire wall all painted.

Dash before

Lots and lots of body work later we have the current color combo

Last edited by blitzd on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
OKMOOSE
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:40 am  Reply with quote

Great work! Love those old chevy trucks...stance is perfect!

dave
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:42 am  Reply with quote

Looks good. did you switch out the stock S-10 to a Camaro? I have a 49 I want to do the same thing to. I know there are cab and bed kits out there but they make the whole truck sit to high. So im gonna fab most of my own stuff. Lets see some more pics.

blitzd
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:46 am  Reply with quote

The S10 frame swap gave me an opportunity to build this truck exactly how I wanted it. This project took a hard turn at this point. I knew I was in knee deep now but screw it, its only time and money right???

Had a guy build some body mounts for me from diagrams from other peoples s10 swaps. They didnt work at all so I made my own.

Ordered up all my air ride parts

Tail lights, stock just arent going to cut it for what I have planned. Late 30s ford with custom bullet lenses by Limeworks.

Needed to tub the bed a little bit to clear the 285/35 tires and blazer rear calipers. Some trailer tubs were sacrificed to give me that finished look I wanted. Doing it this way it matches the fenders shape and hides the fender bolts.

When we planned out the frame swap I knew I wanted to clean up the look of the truck a little bit. I hated the look of the square truck bed on the rounded cab so I rounded the front bed panel to match the contour of the cab. Also brought the bed forward to close that nasty gap between the bed and cab.

Last edited by blitzd on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
blitzd
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:55 am  Reply with quote

dave wrote:
Looks good. did you switch out the stock S-10 to a Camaro? I have a 49 I want to do the same thing to. I know there are cab and bed kits out there but they make the whole truck sit to high. So im gonna fab most of my own stuff. Lets see some more pics.

The rear end you mean? Its got a blazer 4x4 rear end. I fabbed all my own mounts and stuff. A lot of the mounts were fabbed from things I cut off the S10 frame. Ill add more pics of that stuff.
blitzd
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

More s10 swap mounts, front bed mounts

Running board mounts

Radiator support shortened, new lower mounts fabbed from S10 bumper mounts and radiator mounted. Perfect fit, made it all adjustable so I can get all the front sheet metal to line up.

Got the floor all patched up and rust free, put on a coat of Rust Bullet top and bottom.

Laid out

Aired up

Front end got painted last weekend, I was rushing to beat the cold weather and ran out of hardener for the clear on sunday so these still need a scuff and clear.

Dash parts all painted
blitzd
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

As you might be able to tell from the last few pictures the cab has taken a beating since it was painted. I repainted the firewall this weekend and am planning on repainting the cab too. The fenders and hood are a little darker in the pictures above, that is the new paint color. I darkened up the red a little and added a little more gloss to the clear. I wanted a cool satin sheen not just another flat paint job. This paint has a ton of metallic and pearl in it. Truck has a pretty cool glow in the sun light, hard to get pictures of red.
Brotherbob
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

Very nice brotha!
Now get that SC in the production line and stop goofin' off!!!!
I really need to build another AD Chevrolet truck they are just drop dead gorgeous trucks !
Super build man, major props!
BB

blitzd
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:16 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, I hear you on the single cab...its been calling my name but this one needs to get finished first.
Jobe
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:33 am  Reply with quote
what flip?

I love the satin red. cool project.

Js101
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

Sweet truck I like it.I had a 54 stepside years ago it was all stock 235 with a 3 on the tree
It was my daily driver for years. Good truck.
tylorDURBEN
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:06 pm  Reply with quote

looks great, love the color combo reminds me of the one Cole built.

lonestar
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

Great looking truck... Applause Applause